As quick easy casserole recipes go, this asparagus cheese casserole is a doozy! It's definitely quick, and the whole family is sure to love the cheesy goodness. Yum!
Cooking Time: 30 min
* 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
* 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
* 3 tablespoons flour
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
* 1 cup milk
* 1/2 cup whipping cream
* 10 1/2 ounces frozen asparagus spears, cooked and drained
* 2 large eggs, hard-cooked, peeled and coarsely chopped
* 3/4 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
* 1/2 cup minced blanched almonds
* 1 cup soft white bread crumbs
* 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a medium saucepan set over moderate heat, melt the butter. Spoon 4 teaspoons of the melted butter into a bowl. Set aside.
3. Blend the flour, salt, pepper and mace into the rest of the butter and let it sit over low heat for 1-to-2 minutes.
4. Add the milk and cream and cook the sauce, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes, until it has become thick and smooth.
5. In a well-buttered, 2-quart casserole, alternate layers of the asparagus, eggs, Cheddar cheese and almonds.
6. Pour the cream sauce over the layers.
7. Combine the reserved butter, bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese and scatter the topping over the surface of the casserole.
8. Bake the uncovered casserole for about 30 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the topping is tipped with brown.