Thursday, January 17, 2008

Hearty Chicken & Noodle Casserole

One of my goals for the new year is to do more cooking for myself and to eat out less. When I was married with children I cooked regularly and was considered to be a pretty good cook at that. Eating out was a treat - not a matter of routine.

Living alone, I got little joy out of preparing meals for myself. Why bother with the shopping, the cooking and the cleaning up if there’s no one around to appreciate it? So, like many of you, I fell into the fast food routine trap. No muss, no fuss, quick and filling……with one major drawback. That stuff is hazardous to your health.

I’ve come to realize that no one else need be around to appreciate the fruits of my labors. I am a worthwhile and valuable person who is entitled to live a magnificent existence. I am worth the bother of shopping and cooking and cleaning up after enjoying something I created for no one but myself. So, I’ve got myself all psyched up only to recognize that I am way out of the habit of planning and preparing meals. So it’s baby steps for me - starting with a meal or two a week and working my way up to eating in six nights a week. I sure am gonna miss pizza and burgers.

Ingredients:
1 can (10 3/4 oz) Cream of Mushroom Soup (I used low sodium)
1/2 cup milk (I use soy)
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
2 cups cubed cooked chicken (I bought a roasted chicken at the store and used that)
2 cups medium egg noodles, cooked and drained (I used a whole wheat pasta - not for everyone but I like it)
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese.

Preparation:

1. Stir soup, milk, black pepper, Parmesan cheese, vegetables, chicken and noodles in 1-1/2 qt. casserole.
2. Bake at 400 for 25 min. or until hot. Stir.
3. Top with Cheddar cheese.

I had salad and crusty bread on the side —- oh, and never forget the wine.

No comments: