Thursday, July 30, 2009

Apple poised to change the world —again

Only Apple can top news about Apple.

The iPhone is big enough without any competition, but news of this Apple tablet is gaining steam - especially after the Financial Times picked up on it on Monday and "confirmed" a September launch (just in time for the holiday season).

"Enjoy your 15 minutes, Kindle." That's what I wrote months ago when the latest Kindle was introduced. I talked of a flat nearly invisible pane of glass that takes sexy electronics to a new level - something everyone will beat down the door to have.

And now, as I would expect, other major news sites are starting to point out the troubles the Kindle might have. Sadly, there's no attribution to me, but that's how it goes in this business. Anyhow, rumors were flying that Apple was working on creating its own bookstore. I think any news about an Apple tablet with electronic books would be enough for Amazon to freak out. Maybe that's what the purchase last week of Zappos was all about - if this electronic book thing doesn't work out, there's always ... shoes. I mean, Apple's not going to get involved in shoes.

Not yet. Give 'em time.

No comments: