Saturday, November 07, 2009

Route 66 artist's life coming to an end

For decades, Bob Waldmire lived on the "Mother Road," wandering the remnants of Route 66 in his orange VW bus and selling his intricate, India-ink artwork from Santa Monica, Calif., to Pontiac, Ill.

Normally at this time of year, the Springfield native would be saying goodbye to family and returning to his homestead in Arizona's Chiricahua Mountains. Instead the "lovable cuss" and self-described hippie who swore off doctors 26 years ago is saying a final goodbye to friends.

Colon cancer has spread through his body, and he might have a month to live, maybe less. Waldmire, 64, hopes to live at least 17 more days to attend a final art show at Springfield's Cozy Dog Drive In, where his father is said to have invented the hot-dog-on-a-stick. Friends from across the country plan to be there.

"Even if I died 10 years ago, I can't imagine having lived a fuller life," Waldmire said, lying under a blanket on a couch inside the too-warm Chevy bus where he's spending his last days. "I've been hearing from 66er friends and some people I've never heard of. ... It just brings tears to my eyes. If I'd known it was going to be this good, I'd have gotten sick a long time ago."

Read more

 

No comments: