Sunday, December 27, 2009

Maine Secret Santa Hands Out $10,000 at Goodwill Shop

Jim Ward of Portland went to the Goodwill store on Forest Avenue Tuesday evening to shop for a pair of pants.

Instead of leaving the store with pants, he left with a crisp $100 bill.

Ward was one of 100 people who were handed envelopes with $100 inside. In a matter of a few minutes, Portland's "secret Santa" gave away $10,000 to complete strangers.

"When I opened the envelope I said, 'Holy cow.' He obviously has a great heart," Ward said. "I wish I could afford to do the same thing. Giving back is important to me."

Ward plans to use the money to take his 16-year-old son, who lives in New Hampshire with his mother, out to dinner when he visits for the holidays.

"He's my present," Ward said of his son.

Tuesday's cash giveaway was inspired by Kansas City's secret Santa, Larry Stewart.

Read more

No comments: