Steve Mims and Joe Bailey, Jr., the directors of a new documentary about a potentially innocent man executed in Texas under Gov. Rick Perry, say that they “feel validated” by recent events, like the execution of Troy Davis and voters’ enthusiastic reaction to Perry’s death penalty record, “because the things that we thought were important, that were important to us, are now important to many more people.”
Thankfully, the filmmakers behind “Incendiary: The Willingham Case” tell their story with exceptional tenacity, laying out the disturbing details of a house fire that killed three children, led to a man’s conviction and execution, and ultimately sparked what appears to be a cover-up at the highest level of Texas’s government.
“Coming into the project, I had really no strong opinions about the death penalty,” Bailey, Jr. explained. “On the one hand, philosophically, I can see my values don’t really jive with it. But emotionally and personally, I have a hard time setting aside my emotions and I feel like there are cases where I’d like that punishment to be carried out.”
Read more
No comments:
Post a Comment