Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Snow Day

We had more snow overnight last night. I woke up to 3" of additional snow and it was still coming down. I left the house at 6:40AM - about 20 minutes earlier than usual. I got to the office 2 hours and 10 minutes later. (It normally takes me about 25 minutes to get to the office.) The roads were passable - the traffic was a nightmare. People in Ohio know two speeds - 85 or 15 with no in-between.

When I got into the office, I popped my head into my bosses office to let her know I had made it in OK, told her that my head was about to explode and advised her I wanted to take a paid day off tomorrow as we are supposed to get more bad weather overnight tonight. The good times just keep coming.

I left the office for lunch and it was like a different world outside. The temperature was around 29 degrees, the road was clear and traffic was minimal. At 3PM the next wave of the 'White Death' moved into the city. The snow was coming down fast and furious and by 5PM the busy roads in front of our office building were snow covered and traffic was at a crawl. I turned on my radio to hear of the horror that was rush hour traffic. There were reports of accidents all over the place and the freeways were packed once again. I decided to stay in the office and work until 6:30 and then drive home. My logic was that I would rather get home from work late because I left late than to spend another 2 plus hours in traffic with my head spinning in circles like something out of 'The Exorcist'. At least this way I could be productive.

I called my 'snow man' at 5PM (some folks have a pool guy - I have a snow man who I lust after on days like today :) and he said he'd have my drive and sidewalks done by the time I got home. (Ahhhh the service that good tips gets you.)By the time I left the office, cleaned my car off and got out of the parking lot it was 6:40. After stopping at the ATM to get some cash, I rolled into my drive 1 hr and 10 minutes after leaving the office. Normally takes me about 40 minutes to get home so it took twice as long. Was still better than the 2+ hours I spent driving in. The roads were treacherous, but passable. The freeways were snow packed and slick and the snow turned to sleet as I was driving home. The biggest difference between the AM commute and the PM commute was that there was far less traffic enabling me to maneuver around those idiots driving 20 miles per hour in the fast lane.

Folks if you are too scared to drive over 20 miles per hour in the snow - then #1 you shouldn't be on the freeway and #2 you probably shouldn't be driving. Geeze. I want my next car to be equipped with missile launchers in front so I can move these folks out of the way and open up the roadways.

After eating some dinner and relaxing for a few moments I ran out to the store to pick up some odds and ends - too crowded on the way home to do so. I was in and out of there in half an hour. Another example of good planning on my part. I am such an efficiency expert!

We are supposed to get hit with 3" to 9" of snow overnight - perhaps more. After tapering off during the morning hours we are supposed to get hit with another 1-2" during the day tomorrow. I just got in about 1/2 an hour ago and we were still have freezing precipitation. My car was ice covered after 1/2 an hour in the grocery store and I can hear the sleet hitting the windows as I sit and type this.

I've decided I don't care how much snow we get because I'm working from home tomorrow and this year I have a "snow man" so my ass isn't going to be out there shoveling it.

Hope things are better where you are!

1 comment:

Dostoy said...

Oh man, I feel so sorry for you.

Chicago is cold...and there's snow...but nothing like what you're experiencing. Really, hope you get through it all in one piece.

Remember the days when you worked from home full-time? Too bad you don't have that schedule now.