Saturday, September 21, 2013

The Importance of Organics

By Christina Pirello, MFN, CCN

As summer winds down and our farm markets and CSA's bring in the last of the harvest, I get seriously depressed as I think about returning to the supermarket for produce that can't hold a candle to the freshness I have been enjoying all season.

I am often asked if organic is really that important. I often debate with myself as I stand in the grocer's line paying $6.99 a pound for organic cherries. Am I out of my mind?

This month's Prevention magazine (September 2013)has settled my internal debate. An article tells us in no uncertain terms how important organic foods are to our health and to the health of the planet.

With pesticides being linked to more and more of what ails us, from ADHD to an increase in urinary tract infections, organic food is not elitist, but essential.

Commercial farmers purchase more than 1.1 billion pounds of pesticides in a year and the residue from that level of spraying can last for years in the environment. It's scary stuff.

But if you're thinking you still can't afford $6.99 a pound for cherries, a wonderful article from the very cool people at Prevention's website provides some great tips for making organic more affordable. http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/organic-food-savings-tips

In the end, it's not about the price. It's about what your health is worth.

No comments: