Saturday, October 19, 2013

The Fox News Lie Machine: Fact Checking Sean Hannity on Obama Care

One has to wonder if there is a point at which the viewers of Fox decide they are sick of being deceived, manipulated and lied to. Clearly the Affordable Care Act would help most of the people who are against it but they don't know the facts.  I for one think there needs to be laws prohibiting propaganda without a disclaimer to the audience.


I happened to turn on the Hannity show on Fox News last Friday evening. “Average Americans are feeling the pain of Obamacare and the healthcare overhaul train wreck,” Hannity announced, “and six of them are here tonight to tell us their stories.” Three married couples were neatly arranged in his studio, the wives seated and the men standing behind them, like game show contestants.

As Hannity called on each of them, the guests recounted their “Obamacare” horror stories: canceled policies, premium hikes, restrictions on the freedom to see a doctor of their choice, financial burdens upon their small businesses and so on.

“These are the stories that the media refuses to cover,” Hannity interjected.

But none of it smelled right to me. Nothing these folks were saying jibed with the basic facts of the Affordable Care Act as I understand them. I understand them fairly well; I have worked as a senior adviser to a governor and helped him deal with the new federal rules.

I decided to hit the pavement. I tracked down Hannity’s guests, one by one, and did my own telephone interviews with them.

No comments: