Friday, November 15, 2013

Let’s Talk About Thin Privilege

I am five-foot-four, 125 pounds.

My measurements are 36-28-38.

I wear size medium shirts, size seven jeans, and (in case you were wondering) size eight shoes.

I have never walked into a clothing store unable to find items in my size.

I have never been asked to pay more for a seat on an airplane.

I have never had someone dismiss me as a dating prospect based on my body type, nor had someone scoff, openly, while watching me eat French fries in public.

I have never experienced a doctor dismissing my concerns with a “lose weight, feel great!” remedy.

And I can open an article with my measurements without fear of judgment.

I walk through this world as a thin person.

And as such, I have never experienced fat discrimination.

That said, I want you to know two things:

1. I am writing this article from a privileged perspective; and

2. I am not here to damn, guilt, or embarrass thin people.

But I think we need to have a talk.

No comments: