Friday, January 03, 2014
1950s Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
Using mayonnaise (NOT MIRACLE WHIP) in a chocolate cake recipe might seem a bit strange to you, but it's just one of those things you absolutely have to try. This vintage recipe for 1950s Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake is one of those recipes that will take you back in time. Using mayonnaise makes the cake incredibly moist, and the result will be possibly one of the best chocolate cakes you've made. Try this old-fashioned recipe once and you'll make it again and again.
Cooking Time: 35 min
• 3/4 cup cocoa
• 3 teaspoons vanilla
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 1/2 cups sugar
• 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise NOT MIRACLE WHIP
• 3 teaspoons baking soda
• 1 1/2 cups hot water
• 3 cups flour, sifted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix first 5 ingredients. In a separate large container, add the baking soda into hot water. Water will rise and fizz so be sure container is large.
3. Slowly fold the soda water into the cake mixture and mix well. Add flour a little at a time while stirring, mix well but do not beat.
4. Pour into a greased and floured 11x15 or 9x13 cake pan and bake about 30-35 minutes. Let cool and enjoy.