Monday, February 10, 2014

30 Days to a Simplier Life: Day 3

Create a checklist of questions that will help you decide what to buy and what to forgo. Below are some suggestions:

-Will it enhance my goals?

-Will it create more work?

-Do I need it? If its clothing will it fill a missing part of your wardrobe or be an unnecessary duplicate? If its for your home is it cute or an essential addition? If it replaces something are you willing to scrap the original?

-Is it truly a bargain? Would you buy it if it were full price? Would you save for it? If you wouldn't, it's not such a good deal.

-Do I think it will make my life easier? Make a distinction between what serves you and what enslaves you.

-Do I want it because it's trendy? Trendy means temporary. When it's no longer in style will you be able to recycle it or will you keep it and worry about the money you spent on it?

-Will it bring my family together or tear us apart? Maintaining possessions interferes with family time.

-Do I want it because it will make me feel better? Instead of buying something that endures cheer yourself up with something that makes you smile like flowers, a massage, a night out.

-Will I have trouble getting rid of it? Many people have storage lockers crammed with stuff they can not toss, but never use. Stored possessions become a future burden.

From 30 Days to a Simplier Life by Connie Cox and Chris Evatt

No comments: