Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Crockpot Jambalaya

Another easy crockpot meal for your recipe files. Chicken and kielbasa (or smoked sausage) with rice and a few other ingredients make this a no-fuss meal for anytime. You know I love my crockpot so when I was planning my menu for the week I had a craving for Jambalaya but wanted to use the crockpot as it has been crazy busy lately. I wasn't disappointed with the slow cooking process of this dish, it smelled wonderful as I walked in the door in time to add the rice and get some rolls ready to make for dinner.

Ingredients:
5 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 pound kielbasa, sliced (I like to use Hillshire Farms)
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, do not drain
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped into 1 inch pieces
1 green bell pepper, roughly chopped
2 tsp. minced garlic
2 tsp. Cajun seasoning
1/2 to 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 cup chicken broth
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp.dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
about 4 cups cooked white rice or cooked instant rice

Instructions:

In a crockpot:

Mix together all ingredients except the rice (it will be added later.)

Cover, and cook 6 to 8 hours on Low, or 3 to 4 hours on High.

Mix in cooked rice cook the last 20 - 25 minutes, or until rice is heated through.


No comments: