Sunday, July 27, 2014

The Nation’s Highways Are Shot

Our highways are shot and the signage proved it for the entirety of my trip. I started in South Carolina, crossed into a few miles of North Carolina, followed by Tennessee, then it was on to the length of Kentucky (where, if you’re not going 80, a local is on your bumper) into Ohio and, finally, the additional miles to Detroit, Michigan. The main highways involved were I-26, I-40 and I-75. Other than Detroit, Cincinnati was the largest city we hit, and we managed to get buried in its rush hour of a metro area of over 2 million. Had everything gone according to plan, we would have been long past Cincy, hours prior to that inevitable gridlock. As it was, unforeseen circumstances added almost four maddening hours to the trip.

Read more

No comments: