The new NBC/WSJ poll conducted November 14-17 provides a post election snap shot of American voter expectations, including their priorities for actions Congress should take. Can you guess how they match up with GOP Lawmaker's priorities? It's a real shocker folks.
The People's agenda for Congress:
1. Access to lower cost student loans--80% support.
2. Increase spending on infrastructure--75%
3. Raising the minimum wage--65%
4. Emergency funding for fighting Ebola in Africa--60%
5. Addressing climate change/reducing carbon emissions--59%
6. Building Keystone Pipeline--54%
Agenda items registering below 50% support were: lowering taxes by closing loopholes; approving U.S. troops to fight ISIS in Iraq and Syria; reducing Medicare and Social Security benefits for wealthy retirees; new trade agreements with Asian nations; lowering corporate tax rates; cutting funding for ACA; path to citizenship; and raising Social Security retirement age.
I thought it would be insightful to compare America's priorities with those of our newly elected Congress. According to PolitiFact.com
House Speaker John Boehner and soon-to-be Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell have laid out some of their top legislative priorities. It’s a range of issues -- everything from dismantling the Affordable Care Act to passing international trade agreements, and shutting down the possibility of another government shutdown.
Here is PolitiFact's list in the order presented:
1. Authorize Keystone Pipeline.
2. Repeal ACA ("Obamacare")
3. Pass the "Hire More Heroes" (veterans) Act.
4. Pass Trans-Pacific Partnership trade agreement with Asia.
5. Lower corporate taxes.
6. Thwarting Obama on Immigration Executive Action.
7. Reign in the EPA and roll back environmental regulations.
In a Wall Street Journal op ed published the day after the election, Boehner and McConnell outline some of their legislative priorities.