Saturday, December 20, 2014
Overnight Egg Brunch Casserole
What You Need:
•8 Strips of bacon
•1 onion, peeled and chopped
•1 clove of garlic, peeled and minced
•1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
•1 cup brocolli, chopped
•1 cup mushrooms, chopped
•2 (1 lb.) bags of frozen hash browns
•1 ½ cups shredded Cheddar or Cheddar Jack cheese (you can double this amount for more cheesy flavor)
•1 cup 2% milk
•1 teaspoon dried dill
•½ teaspoon salt
•½ teaspoon pepper
1. Cook strips of bacon until crispy. After cooling the bacon on a plate with paper towel, chop it up into ½-inch strips.
2. Chop up onion, garlic, bell pepper, broccoli and mushrooms.
3. Saute the five chopped vegetables in a large skillet for 5 minutes, or until slightly tender.
4. Spray your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
5. Place one-third of the hashbrowns into the bottom of the slow cooker and season with salt and pepper.
6. Layer one-third of the vegetables and one-third of the cheese on top of the potatoes.
7. Repeat these steps until the ingredients are used up, ending with a layer of cheese on top.
8. In a large bowl, mix together eggs, milk, dill, salt and pepper.
9. Pour the liquid mixture over the top of the ingredients in the slow cooker.
10. Place a piece of paper towel beneath the lid of the slow cooker to absorb excess moisture as it cooks.
11. Cover the slow cooker, and cook on HIGH for 4 ½ hours or LOW for 8-10 hours.
12. After the time has elapsed, a thermometer inserted in the middle of the bake should read 160 degrees F.
13. Serve this easy egg casserole with fresh fruit, and enjoy!